Thursday 3 June 2010

The Evolution of Music - Part II

Renaissance and Baroque

Renaissance means "rebirth" and Baroque means "bizarre" and that is a good and accurate depiction of those two important eras in the history of the music. People sought major change and experimented with forms, styles and instruments. Renaissance brought instruments like the dulcian, the trumpet or the lute while baroque brought violins, violas and trombones. Baroque also saw a birth of two major composers: German Johann Sebastian Bach and Italian Antonio Vivaldi. The latter is known for his operas and concertos, most notably "The Four Seasons".








Classical

This is what we could safely call the golden age of the music. Lasting about 70 years, from the second half of the XVIII century to the beginning of the XIX century, the classical period is characterized by simpler melodies and forms such as sonatas. It is also an age of the piano, an instrument that was used by most of the major composers. It is also an era that brought the humanity tens of names that are still recognized in every corner of the world. From the legendary Ludwig van Beethoven who managed to write one of the most beautiful symphonies ever created despite being deaf, through Johann Pachelbel ("Canon in D Major" which still holds a strong influence in modern culture, check YouTube), Wolfgan Amadeus Mozart ("The Magic Flute") to our very own Fryderyk Chopin. Many, many pieces of music that can be heard in many various activities of our contemporary lives come from the classical period. "The Funeral March" for example? It was written by the Beethoven!









Romantic

This age focused more on fuller and more dramatic melodies, wind instruments (flutes, saxophones, tubas) and using the music to tell a story or express an idea. Most important composers include Felix Mendelssohn ("Wedding March"), Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky ("Swan Lake") and Giuseppe Verdi ("Nabucco").








Questions:

1. Does classical music really make babies smarter?

2. If you could play any musical instrument what would it be?

9 comments:

  1. c'mon boys! Leave a comment here. More comments = a better mark ;) I know this part may be boring but third, to me the most interesting, part of presentation is ready to comment.  Just check it out! You can find there Lady GaGa and many others.  Po P-p-p-poker face, p-p-poker face :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. # Does classical music really make babies smarter?
    I don't have any babies. Even if I had one it could be difficult to answer this question.

    # If you could play any musical instrument what would it be?
    Definitely cymbals or txalaparta but then I would need assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wondered if music from Looney Tunes cartoons makes kids more sensitive to classical music. There were so many instruments even during most silly scenes. Nowadays I don' see similar cartoons, but I'm not watching Cartoon Network etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Does classical music really make babies smarter?

    hmm, never heard about this one xD and hard to tell anything my self

    2. If you could play any musical instrument what would it be?

    I remember my parents used to take piano lessons for me when i was really small but i found that borring ;p If id had the choice my self i think id play an electric guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rather don't see any particular reason in the greatness of classical music over other genres in case of positive influence on childrens intelligence. My association with classical music and childhood are old Disney and Tom&Jerry cartoons which were accompanied by classical instruments and I loved it.

    If I could, and I'm sure that will happen one day, I will learn to play on piano. The best about it is fact of being very universal instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot one thing - take a look at such a mash-up: classical performing of pop superhits of Lady Gaga or Rihanna. It's really interesting http://www.astonmusic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Does classical music really make babies smarter?

    I personally don't believe in such things, but perchaps it's good topic for the next episode of Mythbusters

    2. If you could play any musical instrument what would it be?

    None, I have better things to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never heard about the classic music makes child's more intelligence ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was little I learned to play the organ but I did not like it and quit after a few lessons. Recently I wanted to learn to play the guitar because the instrument I like most. Maybe someday I will succeed:)

    ReplyDelete