Thursday 10 June 2010

Urban exploration - part 2 - Warsaw

Chernobyl is great and probably the biggest and the most interesting abandoned place in 1000 kilometers diameter. Nonetheless it's not the only abandoned place near. Great source for this kind of places in Poland is http://opuszczone.com . There are hundreds deserted locations in Poland. Let's start with Warsaw and its suburbs.


First place is a Róża's Luksemburg factory located near PJWSTK. This building was built in 1922 and at first it was producing lightbulbs. Some years after that vacuum tubes were assembled there, so there's some IT background there ;) What I didn't know is that for decades this was a Philips factory. After the war, this place was producing different types of lighting, but after 1991 this factory gone bancrupt. Most part of the building isn't used, but it's really great to see that such a great place was partly adapted as paintball playground.

http://opuszczone.com/galerie/wawa_roza/index.php


Second thing I want to show you, is a place that I visited recently. I was amazed that there's an empty multi-storey building near Modlińska street. It was built in 70's as a hotel for FSO employees. Because of a fact that designers didn't expect people to live there for a longer time, each flat is extremely small. When FSO was bought by Daewoo, most residents moved from there. Nonetheless a couple families lived there up to 2000, when the building was closed because of debts. Doors and windows on lowest floors are blocked, but there are holes in basement's windows. It isn't easy to get there, but a view from the roof is worth everything. From there you can see a big part of Warsaw.
http://www.warsawsun.pl/pokaz.php?miejsce=62
http://penetratorscavengerteam.blogspot.com/2009/04/15042009-szklana-puapka.html


Last place is a so called Atomic Headquarters (Atomowa Kwatera Dowodzenia). There are a couple of buildings looking like a school and a garage. But that's only on the outside. If you use stairs in the school or go deeper into the garage, you'll find a maze of halls and rooms. If you start in school and go under it, you're on the level -1. That's the last place here where you can go without a flashlight. Fun begins here. You can go further, but be aware that there are holes, there's a grease etc. It's really amazing when you're on the level -3 in a place where some engines were working in the past and when you turn off your lightsource, there's no way you can see anything. There's an absolute darkness. You can only use your hear. You can smell the grease that's the only thing left after the engines that were there in the past. There's no way you could get out of there without a light. Amazing experience.

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomowa_Kwatera_Dowodzenia


Topics for discussion:
1. Have you ever been to at least one of those places?
2. Which one of those places seems to be the most interesting?
3. Would you like to visit those places?

10 comments:

  1. I have never been to Chernobyl and I don't plan to. I have seen enough on TV.
    The other two places I have already visited, as they are not far from Warsaw. I do not advise visiting Atomic Headquarters at night without any backup. These place is filled with people, which are not necessary friendly, however I think it is worth visiting.
    I have played paintball in a factory you mentioned. I think such places are excellent for it. They have their specific climate which suits many games or meetings

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Maciej Hop: I was at Atomic Headquarters 3 times about 3 years ago. Maybe it has changed but at that time I didn't meet anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Have you ever been to at least one of those places?
    I've never been in these places. Mostly because I'm not from Warsaw.

    2. Which one of those places seems to be the most interesting?
    Atomic Headquarters because I like dark places.

    3. Would you like to visit those places?
    Certainly yes but now I don't have time for this ;/. I'm fan of abandoned places.

    Maciej Hop:
    "These place is filled with people, which are not necessary friendly"
    You mean stalkers like those in S.T.A.L.K.E.R game : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to any of listed places. If I had to choose, the most interesting is the last one, because it's something diffrent than just a usual building with empty flats. As I said in your previous article I'm not a fan of visiting uninhabited places and I think I won't undrestand what's so great about it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to those places as well. But a place I would like to visit and vitalise my imagination would be Atomic Headquarters. I once wanted very much to visit some WW2 installations in Góry Sowie but it seems it's much more dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in Atomic Headquarters several times. First time I was there few years ago it was amazing adventure. Everything was left as it was looking when Atomic Headquarters were in use. Now whole area is robbed and what you can see now, are only concrete walls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I have never been to any of this places. I think that atomic headquarter might be interesting. I wonder how this connection between regular school and secret bunker looks like. Róża's Luksemburg factory seems less interesting as it was turned into paint-ball ground and flats on Modlińnska street probably are occupied by homless people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been in this places but it's sad that places like Atomowa Kwatera Dowodzenia are left alone for plundering while they could be converted into tourist attractions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live on Tarchomin and every day I go next to the hotel FSO. I was wondering what it is but now I know. A lot of old abandoned factories located in the Skarzysko-Kamienna recommend a visit. Maybe someday as I had a lot of free time I will choose a full day to explore abandoned places.

    ReplyDelete