Friday 23 April 2010

The aim of my third post is to show sports that are not commonly known and they are considered as dangerous or weird.


First, my favourite one, which unfortunately I still couldn't try is urban golf. Rules are similar to normal golf, but as you can guess, it is played in the city. Equipment that you need is only a club and a tennis ball. Choosing a club is an individual matter, but smaller number are preferred as lower flying balls do not get lost so fast. This is also the reason why each player should have at least a few balls. Tennis ones are chosen, because it would be impossible to find a golf ball sometimes. The target of each golfer is to shoot his ball at a target with the smallest amount of hits possible. Anything can be a target - from a container to a hydrant. If a target is small it is possible to put a ball close to it, like 1 meter or a length of a club.
The best unofficial rule (as there are no official rules) of this game is: "#2 EVERYBODY SUCKS, meaning that the worse you play, the better. The only thing that counts is the "fun factor".


Next interesting activity needs a little more free space and definitely should not be done near the crowd. It's called powerkiting. For me, it looks like a connection of kiting on water and flying a kite for kids. The idea is to fly as high or far holding a sail, as possible. You stand on a field, set your kite in a proper direction against the wind and let it pull you. Sounds quite easy, but can be really dangerous. The is a large variety of kits to chose, from smaller ones for beginners up to the ones that have over 12 square meters. There are some upgrades for a bored ones, like standing on a board with wheels while kiting. I strongly advise anyone who wants to try it, to do it with an experienced person, unless you want to end up like:


One of the most well-known sports that gets more and more fans last years is parkour. No equipment is needed so everyone can try it. Point is: get from point A to point B in the fastest way. Running, jumping, sliding - all of it makes it possible to avoid urban obstacles. Term 'parkour' came from French 'Le parkour' meaning the way of moving. It became really popular after a series of movies called "Yamakasi". An interesting variation of parkour is freerun. Idea is quite similar, but it involves doing interesting tricks during the run, like somersaults, flips, spins and so on. Sports like this can be even made in the office :)


Hundreds of interesting sports were presented by Remi Gaillard or Balls Of Steel - Neg's Urban Sports on youtube, I guess most of you already saw them. Karting on the streets, rodeo riding on the pedestrians and running from security makes adrenaline go really high.My advise is, do not try this...

Have you ever tried any of this sports? Or maybe during the summer boredom you invented one on your own?

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fell in love with urban golf this summer but unfortunately I broke 5 windows (3 cars and 2 private loans). So I decided to find other interesting activity. It was almost like parkour.I broke 3 legs, but what’s funny none of them was mine he he. I fell on my two friend who were recording me jumping from beater :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, I have to try the first two :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Example of s4504 pretty match summarizes the whole thing - you should not do sports in places which are not prepared to do so :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that idea of urban golf is great : )

    What do you think, what place in Warsaw will be best?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Powerkiting and parkour looks quite interesting, but with my luck will definitely end up in hospital after first day ;) Urban golf looks like a variation for small children - daddy's club and bigger ball. Summer boredom ... if you're bored during summer go to Wrocław and see a good film festival :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parkour never stops to impress me. It's the most impressive urban sport I've ever seen. Nonetheless, breakdance is what makes me wanne move, but I'm not sure if it's a sport. It's really great thing to see people gathering around people that dance that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know that someone can practise parkour in... office. What a great idea! Sometimes, sitting 8 hours behind a computer you have enough of everything, and this is a solution for that:) Unfortunately your boss won't be so happy about that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to try these inventions sport's:P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once practiced Parkur after watching one of the films. I did not have any achievements after I broke my hand and I'm done with it. I think it is a great sport but very dangerous to be reckoned with high risk.

    ReplyDelete