Monday 26 April 2010

Smoking cigarettes

A cigarette is a small roll with a filter contains various form of tobacco. There can be also narcotic chemicals like marihuana or hashish, then it is called "joint".
While smoking, nicotine enters to the blood. In addition to nicotine, cigarette smoke contains a lot of harmful and carcinogenic chemicals.

Bad effects of smoking
Now I will present some examples of bad effects of smoking (you probably know all of them ;]):
  1. Carcinogenic chemicals.
    Nicotine isn't carcinogenic by itself. The most dangerous are chemicals like benzene, cad and urethane. Individual human organs are sensitive to cigarette smoke constituents. Most smoking-related cancers develop in the respiratory lung, larynx, trachea, esophagus and mouth. However, the carcinogenic compounds present in tobacco and cigarette smoke penetrate with the blood through the body and cause a lot of damages. They are the cause of kidney tumors, bladder and possibly the stomach, colon and blood.
  2. Nicotine addiction
    Nicotine may improve the ability of concentration, lower levels of anxiety and irritability, and increase the level of activity of neurons and measure relaxation. But don't forget that this is one of the highest addictive substance. Due to the rapid metabolism, hunger of nicotine appears at 30-45 minutes after the last cigarette burn. If addicted person will not get the dose within a few hours, the most symptoms are: hunger of smoke, irritability, anxiety, anger, impaired concentration, increased appetite, slow heart rate, headaches and sleep disturbances. Hunger is felt most strongly after 24 hours since last cigarette burn, and later it's decreasing for 2-4 weeks.
  3. Reproductive system

    Smoking affects the reproductive system, especially in women. Many female smokers experience irregular or absent menstruations. Fertility is compromised and the risk of cervical cancer is increased. Men, experience lower sperm count, more abnormal sperm with decreased motility. Even more serious are the risks to an unborn child if the mother smokes. Miscarriage is more common in women who smoke.
Why people smoke?
Well, there are a lot of points why people take the cigarette for the first time, or smoke for many years.
  1. Taste of cigarette is not important. The most important is the satisfaction you can get from a cigarette that you can't get from anything else.
  2. In many situations we think about cigarettes as a reward for something. For example: if we've done some hard work, we deserve to break and we are going to smoke.
    Here is nice movie about smoking in work ;-D :
  3. "Smoke is cool"

    Some years ago, the smoke of cigarette was indication of virility. Even now people smoke cigarettes because they like watch at smoke flying from their mouth.
  4. Boring or waiting...

    The simplest way to not get bored is... go to smoke! When people are bored, or wait for something/someone, they smoke. It's easier to watch a cigarette get smaller and smaller than to keep watching a clock.
Next presentations will be about methods of breaking the addiction, and the "Smoking 2.0" - Electronically cigarettes

And here are some questions for you:
1. Are you smoking? If yes - how long?
2. Do you know any other reasons why people like smoking?
3. Do you think that smoking should be forbidden in Poland?

17 comments:

  1. if I say that from the eight years it will untruth, but this is my answer ;)
    I'll try to appraise your 4 points:
    1. – truth, cigarette does not taste good unless we drink beer
    2. – I agree with you
    3. – for me smoking was cool when I started, today is a bad habit.
    4. – truth
    5. – my own point – stress should be as the first reason

    I think that smoking is like drinking alcohol - everyone knows that it is unhealthy but many people are doing it.
    The last question - I think that it would lead to riots :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the worst thing is that people who don't smoke don't understand, that we know everything about bad sides of smoking, but we can't stop smoking just like that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right!
    Now in general I would prefer to not start smoking but it has become.
    In generally much easier is to start than to stop smoking, just like with any other addiction.
    Now I convince myself to stop smoking when I finish my studies - it will be my step forward - all the previous failed;) but this one will be different I think.
    Remember all - smoking kills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to say one more thing - smoking in the presence of non-smokers is unacceptable to me
    and
    I think that smoking during pregnancy should be punished. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm proud to say that I've never smoked. Although I know lots of people who do. Ones smoke when they're stressed, others only when they drink and some on a daily basis.

    I don't want to sound too critical about smokers, but I think it's not the same case as drinking alcohol. Moderate alcohol drinking has actually been proven to have a protective effect on the brain compared to abstention and heavy drinking.

    To be honest with you I think the worst excuse to smoke is because of the need to be cool. How stupid can people get? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, one other thing: Smoking ban is probably out of question, however smoking ban in pubs and restaurants - big yes in my opinion. Few weeks ago there was a bill about smoking ban in public places, but it hasn't been backed by the government.

    Shame! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just like Michał I've never smoked.

    But for me we generaly shouldn't ban people from doing what they want unless it hurts other people. In case of the restaurants the owner should decide whether he allows smoking inside or not so customers would decide.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must admit the interesting post. I smoke for 6 years and it is a habit hard to break up with him. Now I do not feel the effects of that and I hope I never will feel:) The worst thing is that I like to smoke. In my opinion, should not prohibit smoking, everyone does what they want when they want to ban it on all stimulants. Cigarettes do not make such a wrong as the alcohol does not alter mental status. One thing I can say is if you do not smoke do not start.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m not smoking and for me it’s such a stupid thing that I cannot understand why would people do that. There are lots of ways to deal with stress so smoking is not a good way and other reasons I just can’t see. I won’t also agree with Michał O. You said we shouldn’t ban people from doing what they want unless it hurts other people, but smoking does hurt non-smokers, because they inhale polluted air even if they don’t want to. Is there anyone who could explain to me why mostly in restaurants non-smokers are placed in 2 on 2 meters room and smokers have a huuuuuuge area and entire smoke goes to non-smokers!!!!???? So as you could already noticed I’m so yes for banning smoking in public places!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1.I have never smoked cigarets.
    2.As a non-smoker I don't know any reason why people like smoking.
    3.From what I know smoking outside the special dedicated areas is forbidden in Poland.

    Now restaurants must have a separate room for smokers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not smoking at all. However I tried few times to start but never found that pleasure, taste, relaxations call it whatever you want - it's just not for me.

    Many say it's because of stress and cigaretts allegedly help you to relax. Important factor is also starting in the young age which sooner leads to addiction.

    Not really. Such forbidding is against constitution. If someone wants to, he or she can freely have a cigarette as long as it doesn't affect nonsmokers. Therefore it should be forbidden in public places.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't smoke and I don't like the smoke around me. It's a shame that there's no ban for smoking in restaurants etc. I'd be delighted to sit in a pub/club/restaurant with a clean air.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I smoke very rarely, one in a two, three months. How long ... something about 10 years, but I don't know if I'm really a smoker ;)

    Reasons ... it tastes good with a coffee or drink.

    As was written smoking is very unhealthy, addicting, etc., but in my opinion people have right to do what they like, even if it's bad for them. Of course there's a matter of non-smokers being exposed for cigarette smoke. Smoking should be avoided in public places.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I smoke and I know how bad addiction it is but it's so hard to quit that even I know about dangers which come with smoking, I still smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been smoking for few years and now I am trying to break my habit. I know that it is very unhealthy for my organism. Each thing that you mentioned is terrifying, but even though people try it. It seems that cigarettes are not so bad because some people say that they look nice with it in a hand, that they have more breaks at work, that it is good to sit and talk with cigarette, that it calms down but is it really like that? We all know that these reasons are mistaken. The one who smokes smells really bad and some people cannot stand this smell. I think that we should not ban smoking but it should be banned to smoke in public places because then we will not hurt anybody.
    Hopefully I will get rid off cigarettes at last long.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. I Have never smoked :)!!
    2. No but I agree with your's
    3. Smoking in public places should be banned!

    ReplyDelete