Wednesday 28 April 2010

Tattoos

In the past tattoos were symbol of faith, they defined the membership in the group, were used to deter the enemies. Today they are part of pop culture.

History of tattooing dates back to ancient Egypt. The oldest body decoration regarded as tattoo was discovered on the body of the mummy whose age is estimated at 2200 years.

In ancient Greece tattoos were used to classify the higher social status – they were a sign of noble birth.
In Roman Empire tattoos have people who were a soldiers or slaves.
In primary nations tattooing was a ritual function less than aesthetic. Not everyone could have a tattoo – it had to be earned. Tattoos could symbolize finished initiation process, they allows to integrate with social group. Tattoos on the body wore mostly by warriors.
Maori tribal tattoo on the left.

In Japanese culture tattoo had magical and religious aspects (tattooed were participants of rites). Also they were used to classify to a social group - tattoos marks the geishas and criminals.
At the end of the eighteenth century Japanese tattoo rose to the rank of art. Tattoo makers came to be regarded as artists. Today the permanent drawings on the body are part of the country's national culture.

In Europe the precursors of tattoos dissemination can be sailors whose body decoration was a souvenir of the trip.


Why tattoo nowadays? In the most as aesthetic or cosmetic reasons and as a manifestation of something by its owner.

Specific function had and still have the criminal tattoos - shows positions in the hierarchy. For example, a dot between the fo
refinger and thumb means thief. Still we can meet with the stereotype that the tattooed person must be criminal.
At this link below you can find the meaning of prison tattoos.



Nowadays each of us can get tattoo, we do it to distinguish itself, to have a sort of amulet which is a magical weapon in the fight against failure. For other of us they could remind our values and the important events in our lives. Regardless of what directs us we must seriously think about this step, because to make a tattoo is much easier than to remove it later.
Please see some examples below.

Finally let me show you video about a man who tattooed own eyeballs:



What do you think about tattoos? Does any of you have one? What do you think about these extreme tattoos and what about the tattooed eyeballs?Would you risk blindness to get this one? In your opinion which of these tattoos was not a good idea?

13 comments:

  1. Ja lubię tatuaże ale skromne i osobiste nie jak ktoś cały jest wytatuowany to jest ohydne. Nie rozumiem jak można się tak oszpecić może komuś się to podoba mi nie. Podobają mi się skromne i mające jakiś sens. U kobiet podobają mi się tatuaże wyżej tyłkiem:) ale u meżczyżn na łydce albo plecach. Sam kiedyś chciałem sobie zrobić tatuaż ale przemyslalem to i zrezygnowałem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn’t like to have a tattoo but I don’t mind if someone has. Tattooing eyeballs is actually a bit scary. It looks disgusting and it’s dangerous, I don’t know why anyone would do this. The same about “body suit” tattoo, the small tattoo can look fine, but body suit is just ugly and too much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S, a gdzie to jest wyżej tyłkiem? ;d

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of tattoos, but tattoos could be fun :P

    http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u63/crazy4snowboarding/MonkeyFaceTattoo.jpg

    http://www.imethods.com/images/tattoo-of-the-month.jpg

    What you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure, its could be fun and also crazy :D. I saw these two when I was writing this post.
    One more:
    http://media.ebaumsworld.com/2006/07/crazytattoo.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally I find tattoos disgusting and would never get any, but if somebody likes them then it’s his problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, once I wanted to have a tatoo but thinking of that now I'm happy that I didn't do that. Instead of creating an ink art on your skin it's better for you to go to the gym and work on yourself to sculp the body. In reasonable amounts it can be an art as well.

    One thing that shocked me was fact, that men in Afganisthan tatoo their bodies against their religion just to help their families to recognise their body in case of bombing. Deeply tragic isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really intrigues me why the first comment is in Polish ;)

    The other thing is that tattoos are nice to see, but I wouldn't like to have one. It stays on you forever and for me, tattoos on old people look just bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. s5133 ... nice comment :)

    Personally I don't think I will ever make tattoo on my body, but don't mind it on others. What's a point of buying piece of art and look at it only in a mirror ? Of course there are better ones and worse ones. If a tattoo defends itself as a artistic picture - it's ok. That includes those 'extreme' ones - if you have all skeleton chest and arms it might be good idea to turn your head into skull to complete a vision. Guy with black eyeballs wanted to add something interesting to his face tattoos and earrings. I don't mind if he goes blind as I don't mind if an artist will rip his canvas during painting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My girlfriend has two tattoos. I personally don't like tattoos, but she's got obsession at this point. She said that effect on her body compensates the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I see tattoo people I am surprised and shocked (but in negative way) that they did it. I am wondering why people do it, it hurts so I do not see the point. Is it worth? The idea of eyes tatooed on the back is for me horrible, my sister does not like it. I can imagine small tattoo in unseen place but big ones on the whole body are for me awful. When we decide to do a tatoo we have take into consideration the fact that after 10 years it will not look so great like it used to. I know that we can get rid of it but it will hurt again anf of course cost quite a lot. I do not have tattoo I prbably I will not have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was young I wanted to have some tatto... but that was very long time ago and not true ;P
    The last photo with tatto was not a good idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Personally, I wouldn't just go and make myself a tattoo. I guess it doesn't turn me on :)
    Interesting way of expressing yourself.
    Having a small tattoo like heart or like my friend recently made - a cookie(I know, it's weird :)) is ok with me, but tattoos all over the body looks horrible. There's something wrong with these people, but it's their body and their choice.

    ReplyDelete