Tuesday 25 May 2010

Egypt, a lovely place not only to rest

If you don’t know where you could go on Holiday, I’ll give you some advice.

In the world there are a lot of wonderful places where we can spend an interesting time. But there are not a lot of places where we can have a rest, to get know some history and have a good time. That’s why I have chosen Egypt.



If you think that Egypt can offer you only antiquities, you are wrong. Because it gives you much more. Of course you can see a famous Pyramids, a wonderful temples, but you can see also a beautiful nature with a desert and the sea. Yet Egypt also offers desert treks,



great scuba diving,



and even golf, fishing and bird watching expeditions. One may choose to relax on the wondrous Egyptian Red Sea or Sinai coasts, take in the high culture of Cairo, or even leisurely float down the Egyptian Nile on a luxurious river boat.



When you go to Egypt you may choose a classical Egyptian tours which are basically antiquities tours that visit various site in Egypt and it has been popular with tourists since classical times. Typical, classical tours almost all hit the same major spots.

The tours is beginning in Cairo due to the international airport there and because Cairo's heritage. From Cairo they take you south, usually to Luxor or Aswan, but also to both of these cities. Sometimes they include a Nile Cruise.

They frequently visit a few temples above Luxor, between Luxor and Aswan. They also offer the tour further south to Abu Simbel, or east for a short beach vacation at Hurghada, or across the Gulf of Suez to Sharm el-Sheikh, and perhaps some sightseeing at Mount Sinai. Recently, many classical tours are also purchased with an Alexandria. More exotic add-ons may carry tourists into the Western Desert, or the Eastern Desert, but all in all, the basic classical tour is not all that complicated.

A time of these tours usually last from four to fifteen days. Of course, you can find longer one. Shorter tours are common, but are generally very limited in scope. For example they may only visit the environs of Cairo. Tours longer than fifteen days are less common, as people simply do not have much time for it.

Beach Vacations





Despite Egypt's ancient allure, the country probably attracts more beach vacationers than any other type of tourists. This is because, for many Europeans, the warm Egyptian beaches are both inexpensive and well appointed. Egypt have seven beach zones. These consist of the Mediterranean beaches along the mainline coast from the Suez Canal over to Libya, the Mediterranean beaches along the northern Sinai, the Sinai coast along the gulf of Aqaba, the Sinai coast along the Gulf of Suez, the southern Sinai region which opens onto the Red Sea, the Mainland coast along the Gulf of Suez and the Mainland coast south of that along the Red Sea. Obviously the biggest differences are between the Mediterranean coast and all of the other regions that connect with the Red Sea. Some of these regions attract extensive tourism, while others are almost void of tourist.

In Egypt, one of the nice things about its beach resorts is that just about every area seems to be interestingly different. In general, in the region south of Hurghada, not including Marsa Alam, beach camps and more rudimentary accommodations are very popular. On the east, Aqaba side of the Sinai, while Taba and especially Sharm el-Sheikh are built up areas with fine facilities to choose from and it have a few fine hotels here and there. These areas, south of Hurghada tend to be very laid back areas of beach with less formal entertainment facilities than the main tourist areas of Hurghada, Sharm el-Sheikh, Taba and more and more.



For example, Hurghada is almost two cities in one. There is the downtown area with its less expensive hotels, some with beach front property, and then there are the individual resorts that are really somewhat segregated from the downtown area. They are essentially self contained complexes that offer little availability to the main city of Hurghada.



Sharm el-Sheikh is probably the most open resort area, with a boardwalk that connects most of the beach front resorts and the town center, though there are a few more isolated resorts.

Many of the individual compounds such as this have more than one hotel, and work hard to include various forms of entertainment and activities for the whole family.This is an example of one of the Sharm el-Sheikh’s holtel.



Water Activities



One of the main differences between the coastal regions that border the Red Sea and those in the Gulfs and Mediterranean Zones is the availability of Scuba Diving. There is some sparse scuba diving facilities in just about every zone, but by far, most Scuba Diving facilities are located from El-Gouna south along the Red Sea, and around Sharm el-Sheikh on the Sinai. Other activity such as windsurfing and skiing seems to be very popular along the mainland Gulf of Suez Zone. At various locations on just about all of the beaches there are other water sports available, such as sail boat rentals and parasailing.



Golf on the Red Sea



In Egypt, the weather is almost certain to accommodate ones desire to play golf.
Egypt has a very wonderful golf course including course at Soma Bay on the Red Sea. Most courses are a part of fabulous hotels, such as the one at the Mena House in Cairo. If you want you can check these pages:

www.golftoday.co.uk/clubhouse/coursedir/world/egypt
www.worldgolf.com/courses/egypt/

Q:
Have you ever been in Egypt? Were you satisfied or disappointed?
What place would you like to visit if you had enough time or money?

11 comments:

  1. I have never been to Egypt... yet. It is one of the places at my want-to-see list. Mayby not in the top places as I would rather see Australia, Japan or some exotic African countries, but still. This holidays I will have a chance to check some places you are writing about as I am going on the boat trip on Nile.
    I connect Egypt mostly with Indiana Jones and unfortunately Pyramids never excited me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to Egypt and I don't regret this. Of course there are a few historical places to see but, like Maciej said, Pyramids don’t excite me and that sand. What is interesting in oodles of sand for God's sake?

    I think so many Polish people go there because of the fact that vacation in Egypt is much cheaper than on Polish Sea (I know it’s funny, but unfortunately it’s true). Another interesting thing argues for “don’t go to Egypt” is accommodation problem. I’ve heard many times on TV about following situation: “Oh, we paid for 5 star hotel but there is a cockroach in the bathroom! WTF!?”. Unfortunately not everyone knows Egyptian star is not equal European star..

    Places I’d like to see? From the closest one to the furthest one: Finland, Kenya and Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been in Egypt. My parents were there twice and are happy with this place. My dad was very impressed by diving on the reef. I really like their culture is what is there. My dream is to visit Tanzania, Kenya and South Africa. I have a colleague who is from Tanzania and the pictures show and praised the country. I hope that one day I can go there and spend a dream holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Egypt, for me, is just too popular. Too many people in one place. It just gives me a headache ;) To be honest, I always wanted to see pyramids, but maybe when this place become less popular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with s3874. I think that the worst think is that behind luxury hotels are pyramids there is poverty and a lot of garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been in Egypt. Seeing pyramids with my own eyes is not my must have. Lying on a beach or scuba diving aren't too much attractive for me either.

    "What place would you like to visit if you had enough time or money?"

    Prypiat - city which was deserted after Chernobyl disaster. Also I would like to see countries of Scandinavia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been to Egypt two years ago. I liked the wheather - other things frankly speaking dissapointed me. Maybe bacause I've seen only Valley of Kings from which treasures were taken to Cairo Museum.

    I would definitely visit space orbit. I'm serious - probably the best view one can see in life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive never been to Egypt my self, but my father has been there a few times and told me really intresint things about the place. He is a fan of scuba diving and told me the coral reef in egypt is really beutifull and thats what i would like to see for my self some day. But if i had the money and possibilities to go anywhere id definitely would like to travel to space too :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been in Egypt, but this the place I would like to see. It is a paradise for divers and I am one of them:)
    There are wonderful coral reefs, clean water, beautiful plants, lots of sea creatures and the climate is just perfect for sucha a paradise. It has also become a centre of entertainment, which is very important and interesting for young people. Piramids are great mystery for me, I would love to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1)
    I've been in Egypt once on a boat trip accross upper Nile, it was quite nice althogh hotel quality was rather bad.

    2)
    If I could I would go once again to the USA :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I was in Egypt three years ago and I spent there two weeks. Generally i was glad.

    ReplyDelete