Saturday 1 May 2010

How to quit smoking

So, you want to quit the addiction of smoking? There are many working or non-working methods that I would like to present.
You must understand that there are two types of addiction:
  1. Physical (nicotine hunger)
  2. Psychological
First of all you must find a motivation to break the habit. It may not be the health. It could be a pressure of environment, prohibition at work or not accepting it life partner. Then choose a method related to your dimension of addiction.
  1. Gums with nicotine (nicorette), Sucking pastilles, Sticking plasters - It relieves symptoms of nicotine hunger: irritability, poor concentration, depression.
  2. Swallowing tablets - they doesn't contain nicotine, there are substances with a similar effect. They are available by doctor prescribes, because not everyone can use them. Nice example is "Chantix" (not available in Poland yet), it containg substance which blocks nicotine access to brain, so this means the end of the pleasure of smoking. It also mitigates the effects of nicotine hunger.
  3. Homeopathic medicines - removes the effects of quitting smoking: headache and other disorders associated with nicotine poisoning.
  4. Acupuncture - is not a cure for addiction, but may contribute to the therapy, such as smoothing symptoms after stopping cigarettes. About 75% people using acupuncture throws or smoke less.
  5. Hypnosis - the effectiveness of this method depends on your susceptibility to enter into a hypnotic state and the determination. The therapist helps you free yourself from mental dependence on cigarettes, rather than physical
  6. Electronical cigarettes - I will take that topic in the next presentation
  7. Others methods, like Allen Carr method. I would recommend a great book about stop smoking, not only for smokers, but also not-smoking people, to understand how complicated smoking is, and how hard is to stop smoking.
And here are some questions for you:
1. Do you know any other methods of stop smoking?
2. Which addiction is more important to stop: physical or psychological?


14 comments:

  1. I heard that an appropriate diet can help with stopping smoking (light meals, a lot of water, etc.). Dried plums are supposedly very good instead of the cigarette.
    For me a psychological addiction is harder to stop - always (I guess) the desire to smoke a cigarette appears first in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No but from what I've heard the e-cigarettes are most effective way. I agree that psychological addictions is harder. From a psychological point of view, e-cigarettes are similar to regular cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t know any other methods to stop smoking because I have never smoked. As I observed smokers trying to break up with their addiction much harder is to stop smoking because of psychological reason. So I agree with Piotr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I wanted to say the same thing - never start smoking in a first place, you have a problem of addiction earlier. As I mentioned earlier, I don't smoke so it's kinda difficult to judge others and claims if it's easy or not. I guess there is no perfect method that works for every1. It's the will to quit that drives people to success in getting rid of the addiction ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I never smoked but my father told me that he stopped after seeing how much dust is gathering on the filter so shocking therapy is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think both addictions are very difficult to tackle with. Personally I don't smoke but I noticed that for my friend worked drinking a lof of water and eating sunflower seed instead of cigarretes. However recently he started to smoke again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not easy to write about quitting with something that you don't do. I don't get the smoking habit, but I remeber when I used to go on holiday camps, smokers were the first people to get to know each other. It was really amazing that during the trip every smoker had a camp friend. But it didn't make me wanna start smoking :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadly I smoke over 7 years now and I tryed almost all these methods and failed :( In my opinion its harder to struggle with the psychological addiction since the pchisical is almost unnoticable(at least i see it this way as a smoker).The most important part is having a strong will, all other things and methods are secondary. Its also important to try quiting during low-stress time periods, becouse sometimes when u get realy angry you just reach for a "smoke" without even thinking about it that your quiting etc. Im planing another try during vacations :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that psychological addiction is a main factor which make you keep smoking. I don't smoke (or rather don't smoke regularly ) , but my friends have real problems quiting. Can't say which method is the best, but you need a strong will to don't go back to your addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is easy to say, but hard to realize. I have tried to quit for 2 years now. My greatest achievement was 4 months without cigarette, but I couldn't stand that and I returned to smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never throw about stop smoking so I don't know any other methods to stop.
    For me a psychological addiction is hard to stop

    ReplyDelete
  13. Smoking is a psychological dependence, and routine operations are in the smoke and can not imagine otherwise. Ways to quit is just a strong will and desire to quit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you want to quit smoking you have to WANT to quit. This is the best way. None of those methods works for somebody who still wants to smoke. Psychological addiction is more important and also harder to stop. One of the biggest problems is what to do in this time which was reserved for smoking.

    ReplyDelete